Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Trixie

I made a new sketchbook.  I’ve had this Trixie Beldon book for awhile (years actually) and finally cut out the text block and put in new paper that I like.  I like fairly smooth paper so I can use whatever floats my boat at the minute when I’m working in it.  I used a 50% off coupon to buy this mixed media book.  I like that the paper is 100% cotton (90 lb) and smooth (of course) but I don’t like the larger size.

I grew up reading Tricia Beldon books and got my daughter and grand-daughter to read them too.  The spine on this one was cracked and ready to fall off so I was happy to find another use for it. 

It just so happened that after I dismantled the mixed media book, I could fold the pages in half and they fit perfectly.  I used a cereal box to make a new spine and used dollar store duck tape to adhere it to my covers.  I used a simple pamphlet stitch to sew in the signatures.  I used ecru crochet cotton that I waxed (many times) because I didn’t have any waxed linen bookbinding thread.  In the end (not shown),  I attached another strip of duck tape to cover and seal in the knots on my binding.

I’m really happy I finally was able to make this.  I was inspired by Kathryn after she made her “commonplace notebook” a few weeks back.  I finally got off my posterior and made this!  I have enough pages leftover to make another sketchbook.  Just so you know, every time Kathryn says “tricksy cloth” or “tricksy”, this is where my mind goes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment