Friday, May 2, 2014

I'm a "Sketchbook Skool" student!

I am so happy to be taking part in "Sketchbook Skool" co-founded by Danny Gregory!  I have one of his books and had glanced through it many times but had never actually had done anything about it.  I simply admired the drawings and wished that I could too.  The only way to become a better artist is to actually make art and working in a sketchbook is a "safe" way to do that.  It is my book and I can choose who sees what is inside.

 I am trying to work in my sketchbook more than once a week.  In fact, I have been exceptionally good for me that is....I started my Moleskine sketchbook on October 23, 2012.  Yup, and I only had a few pages with anything on it other than a few pages with fruit and veggies stickers.

I have signed up for Sketchbook Skool Semester 2 so that I will continue to try and complete this sketchbook and buy a proper watercolour one and yes complete it.  I love the concept of an illustrated journal so that there are some cool creative pages that my grand-daughter can look at and read.  She can read about "who" I am as a person and not just as a grandmother!

I think that is important...knowing more about a person that what they represent on the outside.  I never knew my grandmother; mostly due to the fact that we lived out of the country and out of the province for most of my live prior to her death.  I do have some fond memories of her but not really all that many.


I am hoping that I will create some different memories between Anju and myself.  I am hoping that she can become an "illustrated journal" type of gal as well when she gets older.

So here is one picture that I did as homework for Jane LaFazio's class.

At first I wasn't all that happy with the results but I got positive feedback from my fellow students. So, I am happy enough when I consider that I am a beginner!



Then I had a very bad thing happen; I lost my camera off the trunk of my car.  I drove all the way to Orillia before I realized that my camera was missing.  I drove back home right then and there and it was gone.  I had hoped that it had fallen off in our lane way but that didn't happen.




 So, I was pretty bummed out for a day and I stayed home to work on the "The Taste of Red" as my homework when there was a knock on the side door.  It was my next door neighbour; he lives on the farm in the house just north of us.  He had my camera bag in his hand!  It is a bit banged up but everything works!  I am so thrilled that his daughter figured that it was my camera.  I do have my name and address on a piece of cardboard in the bag so really it should have been fairly easy.  Regardless, I am so happy that I don't need to go out and spend lots of money on replacing it.  I guess I have better karma than what I thought or maybe I do have the luck of the Irish.

To celebrate our reunion I did this sketch of my camera.  It is a bit wonky but it is the first time that I have ever drawn a camera.  I need practice, practice, practice!!  However, I am still happy that I just dove in an actually completed another page in my book.




No comments:

Post a Comment