Wednesday, July 1, 2020

A. Y. Jackson painting

The government of Canada issued some new stamps last month showcasing some paintings by the “Group of Seven”.  I chose to copy this particular painting because it was titled “Labrador coast”.  I use to live in Labrador so that was what gave me the the idea.  Upon further research it seems that A. Y. Jackson travelled to Ungava Bay (now Nunavut) with Frederick Banting (co-discoverer of insulin) in 1927.  They had hitched a ride on a government supply ship.  The original oil sketch was called Ungava Coast.  This was the only sketch done on this trip. 

The sketch painting was found in St Johns Newfoundland in 2018 at a public appraisal event.  It was used to create a  4’ X 6’ painting was completed in 1930 and is now kept in the University of Toronto Hart House collection.  

As an aside, I often purchase Ungava gin made with Artic herbs! I didn’t realize it was a body of water.  



No comments:

Post a Comment