Sunday, November 29, 2020

S.S. Keewatin

The weather forecast is lousy for the next 2 weeks and 30 cms of snow expected by Wednesday.  Today, it was beautiful with sunshine and temps at 8C so I took the opportunity to drive the 54kms to Port McNicoll.  I wanted to see this amazing luxury Edwardian steamship passenger liner before it is taken away.  It pre-dates the Titanic by 5 years and it took passengers and freight throughout the Great Lakes (from Port McNicoll to Fort William and Port Arthur now Thunder Bay).  It was built in Glasgow Scotland and owned by Canadian Pacific Railway.  

I am so glad that a few years ago I took a tour that included the engine room.  I’ve tried to draw it several times in the past and I have to say this is my favourite try even if it is still wonky. My fingers started to chill off from the breeze off the bay so I was glad I finished up with colour when I did.  

So sad it is being moved to Kingston Ontario; Port McNicoll is losing a part of their history because developers who want to put up fancy homes along the waterfront.



No comments:

Post a Comment