Friday, January 28, 2011

Altered "book" art



I have been so busy and now I have popped my head up and taken a look around; unbelievably, January is coming to a close already! Where did the month go?

I thought that I would post the "altered book" piece that I finished a couple of weeks ago. I had to have it ready for my very good friends wedding celebration on January 15th. That day is snowed across Ontario and we had to stay home. I sent it to her via snail mail.

It all started with an "idea".... to make something... to make a "wedding card" for a friend.


The idea morphed from the sketchbook to the actual art piece. I took an ugly children's story book from the charity chop and gutted it and gessoed the whole thing.



I think that it looks very pretty with the tissue paper texture on the front. I used some tri-Art paint on the front called "Liquid Mirror". It is super expensive so I only painted the front of the piece with it.


I think that my piece of art turned out even better than I had imagined. Since I didn't have a "how-to" or any instructions it took quite a long time to get to each step in the process. At each level I had to "think" what would work so that I could get to the finished project.

The only information that I was able to glean from a journaling website (I wish I could remember which one now then I would post it here) is that I should not have used a book with a shiny cover. Unfortunately, I had already started the process and found this information to be very true. I had a hard time getting the gesso to adhere!!

I think my friend liked it but I wasn't there to see her face. Says that she thinks that I am so very "imaginative" and that I am talented. So, that being said, I think she means she liked it. I'm glad because I just didn't have the heart to buy some of the store bought type with their banal sayings.

No comments:

Post a Comment