Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Visiting Newfoundland memories

I love visiting Newfoundland!  I use to live in Labrador (on the mainland north west of the island) and have wanted to visit THE ROCK for many many years.  We finally did when I retired and went again a few years ago with our family. 

“ New Found Land” is our newest province and St John’s is the capital and largest city located on the Avalon Peninsula!  Bell Island had an iron ore mine that had tunnels going down 2 kilometres but was closed in the ‘60’s  but is now closed but open for tours (obviously only going down a short way!)  The village of Wabana is the largest on the island where the mine is located.  The dock took a hit by an torpedo in the 2nd WW and I think it is the only North American strike by the then enemy. 

I had to mark where we ate the best ever codfish at the famous Chaffs Landing in Petty Harbour.  Then the best of all tour experience when we got to see PUFFINS for my first time! (It was as exciting as when I saw my first pink flamingo!)



No comments:

Post a Comment