Saturday, August 14, 2010

Sleepless in Oro

I would prefer to still be asleep but since I can't I can appreciate the net without feeling guilty. I don't feel obligated to doing any chores around the house and being on the net is a "quiet" activity. I have my cup of hot coffee on my desk beside me so life is good indeed.

I hope to tackle drawing hair a little bit later as it is the next step in my weekly art assignment. Oh boy!!! I thought teeth were hard! Hair is every bit as hard as the rest of the face. The instructor says that hair is tedious and has tried to simplify the process for us. For some reason I think that I am having difficulty grasping the concept. I started the assignment yesterday and I just don't "see" when I should be using island, parallel lines and star bursts. Some of what he showed us is so obvious if only I am able to see the "little intricacies" of the big picture that is HAIR (Cowsills song). On the other hand, the way I see it, some marks are completely subjective. I feel concerned about the rightness and wrongness of my mark making. I must remember that marks have to visually flow so that it replicates our normal world as closely as possible. For example, if there is a clump of wispy hair here then the hair near or "under" it will be darker; remember that hair is darker near a part. That is the sort of thing that is all true but not something that we actually "think" about. Without actually saying so, I think our instructor is trying to get us to change the way we "see" or at least "interpret" what we see and how we make that mark on the paper. It is exactly like my issues with the teeth, we all think we have white teeth when in fact we don't.

Ahhh well, come what may!

No comments:

Post a Comment