Friday, January 22, 2010

I love listening to Podcasts

I can recall a tidbit on the radio where the host was discussing the negative aspects of the iPod and how it narrows one's opportunity to hear different or new music that we would not likely listen to. There is some truth to that, the iPod does in fact mean that we only listen to what is on the device. However, if you look at all of the podcasts that are available on iTunes it is amazing at the versatility available.

For me, it is all about "time management"! Gawd how I hate saying that! I hear that quite often from acquaintances who work in business and other capitalistic organizations; we are rushing here, rushing there, rushing to nowhere! Unfortunately in my current situation, the notion is true. I don't have time to read a book these days so I do enjoy listening to them on my iPod while I'm driving in to town. I just finished listening to Alligator by Lisa Moore. It is a book of interrelated short stories about a group of people who live in St Johns, Newfoundland.

I think that the conception of "time management" sprang from the old religious belief that hard working people are in fact closer to "gawd" than everyone else. All hard-working people will achieve greater rewards (up there ?) than those lazy, fun-loving types. Hmmmm! Not too sure where I will fit in here. At times I am lazy and fun-loving and at other times my head is spinning with too many things to do and not enough time to do it in.

Getting back to the narrow focus, that is just so much bunk really. I check the CBC track of the day to hear what is new on the Canadian music scene. Most of it is not to my taste but every once in a while I just have to get the "free" song of the week. So, really it is all about YOU and who you are. If you are the sort of person who is "stuck in park" then you would be like that whether you had an iPod or not. It would mean that you wouldn't switch your radio station from your favourite to sample other music genres.

No comments:

Post a Comment