Friday, February 24, 2012

Postcard #5 - Needlefelt and molding paste

Here is the next postcard and I started with brown organza and I attached my handmade needle-felted wool-roving image.  I wanted to sew the beads on to the image and I needed a substrate that would allow this to happen.   I have not tried needle felting since I took a workshop several years ago.  I kept the image simple but added beads for interest.

The next part of the "experiment" (since my postcards are based on experimentation) was using the molding paste.  I used Golden light and heavy paste.  The hard past is very difficult to manipulate so I decided to use the light paste to make the process easier due to the small size of this project.

Again, I seem to have forgotten to take pictures but I have one of the card part way through the process.  It shows the molding paste while I was applying the burnt umber acyrilc paint.  I used some bronze paint as a highlight. 


I do love the juxtoposition of fibre and polymer!

 To finish this off I used some glitter glue around the inner edges between the fabric and the paste.

I really do love this card and hope the recipient does too!

Okay for this card I used:

-recycled postcard from junk mail
-Strathmore watercolour postcard
-brown organza
-wool roving (three colours)
-glass beads
-acrylic heavy and light molding paste
-acrylic paint
-glitter glue

2 comments: