Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Postcard #8 - Recycling & Re-purpose ETC

I love using a "lowly" kitchen "utensil.  I don't normally association cheesecloth with art!  It is a fibre that I use in the preservation and the making of jams and jellies; then you throw the cheesecloth in the green bin (long with lots of other garbage)!!  However, I think that cheesecloth can be used to make lovely mixed media art projects. 



My next favourite household cast-off is the "used" dryer sheet!  I like to recycle so I painted the old dryer sheet with some fabric paint that I found at a charity shop (I don't usually use this sort of stuff!).   The purple dryer sheet became the simplistic yet abstract flowers in my postcard.  I added some beads and then some Gutermann star-shaped sequins that I purchased at the creative sewing show I went to in Toronto awhile back. 

I attached the floating flowers and sequins to some cheesecloth backed with organza.  Then I applied light molding paste and topped that off with the glass bead texture gel.  I don't know if you can see the beads here as I had hoped but it was pretty cool looking!  If you click on the picture it will bring you closer so you can see the bead textures better. 


I painted my "frame" a bright blue and when I look here in the cold light of the camera's eye; I'm not so sure I chose the correct colour.  I think that a pale lavender might have been nicer but it is "done" now and I need to get them mailed away so it will remain as is.


I am glad that I chose to do something different on each card.  On this one I then applied some interference paint in Interference Violet by Tri-Art paint (made in Canada).  I see that it looks blotchy in the lower right corner.  Honestly, this picture does not do it justice at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment