Saturday, August 20, 2016

Oro Methodist Historic Church

Inside the Oro African Methodist Episcopal Church Grand re-opening this afternoon originally built in 1849. It was quite an experience to have people watching me draw then paint the pulpit of this church. I usually don't have people taking my picture or filming me while I worked away to complete my drawing. The church has been designated a national historic site. I loved the smell of the new cut pine floors. Much of the inside is still original but the floors had rotted.  The glass in the windows isn't original either but they found glass from the period. A couple of the top wall beams had to be replaced and they found a recipe for the white wash. Seemingly the recipe depends on what resources would have been available in the surrounding location. 

I use to live down the road a bit and would stop by to peer in the Windows. Today I had a chance to sit in one of the pews to fill my page.



No comments:

Post a Comment