Wednesday, April 15, 2020

A Lady holding an orange blossom

This page began because I got an email from the Art Gallery of Ontario (we have long distance memberships) announcing a new acquisition called Portrait of a Lady holding an Orange Blossom.  The painting was done in oil on canvas mid-18th century and is a portrait of a young woman of colour.  The artist was well trained and gifted when it came to the luminosity of her skin tone and the sheen in her silk dress (and sheer lace) but some areas bothered me.  I hated the facial features he gave her; a pinched nose and thin lips.  The biggest faux pas (for me) is the hanky he painted on her head (I learned that it was likely a style at the time).  So....I made my painting different and simplified it because I used acrylic gouache in my handmade sketchbook. 

I invite you to go to the AGO website and search the painting name to see the original at www dot ago dot ca




No comments:

Post a Comment