Friday, April 17, 2020

A Lady on her Day Bed

For today’s page, this painting popped up on my daily art app “A Lady on her Day Bed” by Francois Boucher 1743.  I did my own version but couldn’t quite fit it all in on the page in my handmade sketchbook. I was just going to pass by the painting since the subject of the painting (the artists wife) was wearing a hanky on her head but then I saw her teeny tiny foot and slipper. Some people think that artists of the era painted people “as they truly are”; me, I don’t believe it.  I see that foot as being way too small for the size of her body.  It made me think of the “Lucy Show” and how she tried to cram her size 7 foot into a size 5 shoe.  Unbelievably, shoe size has been an issue for women for a very long time!

If you query the name of the painting you can see the original.  




No comments:

Post a Comment