Friday, November 18, 2011

Persimmons

I can tell when I am tired and not necessarily hungry.... I pick up fruit and veggies at the grocery store to draw on my night shift.  I buy it thinking that I will have something interesting to draw on my days off.  However, it was desperately quiet last night which makes every minute feel like an hour and pure drudgery.  A new edict has put put out that we are not allowed "personal devices" and actually "on our person" while working.  Yup, that means no iPhone for me!  The thing is... it is also my calendar so if I take the procedure literally then I have to revert to paper copy.  I never thought that the day would come when I would have to revert to ancient technologies.  I mean, I finally got to present day technology, so far I am really enjoying my Macbook and iPhone and the Evernote app to reduce my paper consumption.  Strange.  I can understand it to a point but I think that not having it on your person so that it can be used not as a phone or as a vehicle to get on the internet is going just a bit too far.

I digress.  I bought a persimmon while I was picking up my salad for work; I bought it because it looked interesting.  The girls at work checked it out on the internet and it seems that my choice of fruit is not quite edible....yet.  The orange flesh of this fruit is quite hard and it should be soft to the touch.  I really chose it to draw and not to eat but I will not be consuming it myself anyway it seems.  Thankfully,  I have a hubby who likes tropical fruit so I hope he likes this.  From what they learned it is full of tannins so I think that I will stay clear in fear of getting a migraine.  I already eat too much other stuff that I shouldn't and I would be afraid that this would put me over the edge.  Maybe I can survive a  "taste".


I had forgotten my pencil case at home so I search all of the work stations to find a 2B pencil that still had an erasure on it.  It is just office supply quality but something is better than nothing.  I can see that my perspective is slight off and I think I should have made the background slightly darker to bring the fruit forward.  Now that I look at it again, my green centre is definitely not dark enough either.  Regardless is it a drawing to pass the time in a positive way.  It is okay after many months of not drawing anything since my fathers illness and death.  I love making a mark with my pencil; there is just something so very satisfying in its simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment