Sunday, November 6, 2011

Home Alone

I have the house to myself for the next week!  I can watch all the television I want and pick my channel.  I can eat what I want, when I want.  I can do exactly what I want to do and when I want to do it.  Wow!  The choice!

So I have been busy trying to paint a picture that I took.  I have made some design changes that I think suit a painting although it will deviate from the original picture that I took last March.  It is actually a sunrise photograph and I love sunrises and sunsets.  I am having some difficulties because I don't really know my brush strokes well enough.  I don't know how to make the water resemble water.  I have done what I can and it looks kinda sorta like water but I'm not always the best judge.

Here are some pictures that I painted in class this week.  They are colour studies, one blue and one burnt sienna.


I ran the study in blue through my iPhone 100 Camera's program and it came out looking like an antique and in many ways greatly enhanced the original picture.


The burnt sienna picture did not fair well through the same program and looks a bit over exposed.  These are just studies so I should not be too hard on myself.

I'm not sure that I like water soluble oil paint as these were still wet and they were painted last Wednesday.  Okay so I know that oil painters (read fine art oil painters) love that very fact.  Me...not so much!   The more that I look at this photograph the more I think that I might have to revert this image to it's original.

I was busy try to reclaim a laminated board and frame as my next project (I firmly believe in recycling - regardless if it is art or not) so I only had a minute to sketch this 2" x 2" thumbnail.  I saw it on the web and I think it is a photograph taken in Scotland.   It is a quick sketch and I can see now that I have not clearly expressed the river bank from the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment