Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Stitching a scroll

Part 1/2. I’m a slow starter but I finally found my way! 

I’ve had this spool for a couple of eons at least, a friend offered it to me.  No idea why I took it but now I have it to make a scroll.  So far, I’ve just pin fabrics down on my backing fabric.  Years ago I collected men’s silk ties and I have used many of them here in this project.  I’ve also used some purchased white white fabrics that I’ve over painted to change the colour to that of my palette (the dotted fabric’s on the bottom left).  I painted some white lace purple and cut out the rosette and toned down the colour of it to make it different.  The grey fabric on the top right with the writing is from one of the cotton masks I wore before we were able to buy them at the beginning of the pandemic.  Under the lacy piece is an area of plain fabric so I made a design on a white eraser and stamped the bare spot with black Staz On ink since it is permanent.  I’ll have to unwind the wool yarn from the spool and see how I can include it as an embellishment to the piece (or on a new piece).  I look forward to stitching it together and then spending time with it, slow stitching. 

I’ve really enjoyed seeing everyone’s beautiful projects and have found it all very inspiring!  Thanks to all here and of course, last but not least, Shelley Rhodes for offering this class. 




No comments:

Post a Comment